Please contact Sheri Kelley with any questions about our Older Adult Ministry.
Older Adult Ministries for Boomers & Seniors
The Older Adult Ministries area is composed of both Boomers (born 1946-1964) and Seniors (born 1945 and earlier). Some of the activities are specific for one or the other age group, but many can be enjoyed by both. It’s not necessary to be a member of MDUMC to participate. Neither is it required to be a member of a Sunday school class to attend! All are welcome!
Events include studies, day and weekend trips, fine arts outings, sporting events, and much, much more. Transportation is provided in the cost of the event.
Body, Mind, & Spirit
On any given Thursday, you’ll find something happening on the Main Campus for older adults in the program we call Body, Mind, & Spirit. Join us for lunch at noon. We go through the kitchen lunch line and dine in Room D100. Main course, side, and dessert is $5. Add a salad for $2. At 12:30, we share a devotional before the afternoon activities begin. Activities begin at 1 PM and include:
- 1st – Memory Makers Singalong (D100)
- 2nd – alternating monthly, either watch & discuss a movie or play table games, including Bingo with great prizes (D100)
- 3rd – Memory Makers Singalong (D100)
- 4th – stretching exercises and conversational Spanish classes at 11-11:45; Medical Moment with Linda Jenkins at 1-2 PM; Smart Phone training with Drew Essen at 2-3 PM; cooking demonstration/tasting with Chef Romain Bertein at 3-4 PM
- 5th – Memory Makers Singalong goes to nearby nursing homes to sing to residents
Quarterly luncheons are planned for the 5th Sundays of the month immediately following the last worship service. Reservations are necessary since these are catered by our wonderful kitchen crew. Programs include musical groups, speakers, mission opportunities, etc.
Missions & Outreach
“Opportunities to be the Church” are listed in The Billboard, the newsletter for Boomers and Seniors. There are many ways to serve the church and our community. We want to share our gifts and talents and, at the same time, create a living legacy of Christ’s work through us.
For a more complete listing of what’s happening in the Older Adult Ministry area, check out the newsletter, The Billboard. You can also contact the director of this ministry, Sheri Kelley, at 713-468-8356, ext. 119. We hope that you’ll invite your community friends and neighbors to also be a part of the exciting ministry! Tell someone about Memorial Drive United Methodist!